Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Bryant's Ear-Rings

Well, it's done! We were at the hospital this morning by 6:45 after a night of little sleep. Cal had to do a colic surgery and didn't get home until 2:30am and I guess I was a little more nervous then I thought because I kept waking up all night. Needless to say 5:15 came a little too early. Anyway, Bryant did great at first. He was a trooper and put on his little gown (purple, really?) and did good with all the anklets they put on him. While we waited for them to call him he had a great time playing and made a few friends. I got to go into the anesthesia room with him. We rocked and watched TV and played with toys. He wasn't as content in there because he had to stay on my lap and he just wanted to get down and play. After a little bit they gave him a nasal spray of valium to relax him. Then he became quite the little ham dancing to Handy Manny music and hitting himself in the head with a book and cracking up (no alcohol for you buddy!). The nurses were laughing too so that even egged him on more. When they said it was time and I put him on the gurney he started to fuss but then stopped and did good. I met Cal in the waiting room and about 15 minutes later the Dr. came out. He said everything went well with the ear tubes and that he didn't have a partial cleft palate (he was a little worried he might)... praise God!!! A few minutes later I heard a screaming child and told Cal that was him, not sure he believed me, but when we got into the recovery room he and another little girl were having their own screaming competition (I think Bryant won, but maybe that's because it was in my ear). They gave him to me still half asleep and he was throwing himself around and screaming at the top of his lungs. I couldn't console him because I really don't think he was coherent enough yet and he kept gag-coughing and I knew for sure I was getting ready to be puked on. Yet again God was good and no such happenings. He downed a cup of juice and screamed until they gave him some more... and then screamed again because they said no more. I think they got tired of hearing him because next thing you know they come by and said to get him dressed and they would escort us to the parking garage. Yes, with screaming girl and her parents in-tow we headed out with our escort (smart people, ditch both crying babies at once)! Luckily both babies settled down once we started walking and only had occasional outcries on the way out. We left the hospital by 9:00 and Bryant dozed and cried on and off on the ride home.
The rest of the day he has slept a lot and has been in a pretty good mood when awake! Overall the experience was good and WE LOVED COOK CHILDREN'S. A special thank you to April for coming so early to take care of Cameron and thanks to all of you that have been praying for him for so long, I think this is the first day to the answer to our prayers!

1 comment:

The Gray Gang said...

aww...i've been out of the loop and haven't read blogs in ages...i'm so sorry i missed all this. glad to hear it all went well though.