Monday, October 13, 2008

B's Birthday


Wow, where did the year go? I can't believe that our little B-Bear is officially one. I'll spare you all the motherly "I can't believe it" speech and just give you the fun details.
Of course, we didn't just have a birth-day, it was more like a birth-weekend.
It all started Friday with a trip to the zoo with Grandma and Grandpa. We've been countless times but you wouldn't have guessed it with 2 new people to show around. It made it that much more fun that someone besides Mom went this time. Cameron was quite the tour guide showing Grandma and Grandpa all the animals and telling them what each of them were. Bryant had a whole new experience... since it is usually me and the boys at the zoo Bryant normally stays strapped in the stroller with only occasional stroller-free viewing. Well, with Grandma, Grandpa and Mom he hardly ever sat in the stroller. He had an amazing time pointing to all the animals and laughing. I honestly felt bad I hadn't taken him out more often. I should have known the view from the stroller was pretty cheap (sorry buddy). Anyway, we made the rounds and had a great day. Grandpa got a little tired toward the end so we even splurged and let them ride the train. They passed out on the way home, the universal sign of a great outing (let me clarify and say "they" includes Grandpa)!









Saturday was full of activities. My sister and her kids, and Memaw and Papaw came to join in the fun. We went to Cal's work for his annual client appreciation party. Bryant and I missed the festivities last year. He was born the night before and we were still in the hospital. Bryant made up for it this year. He elected to skip his nap so as not to miss any of the fun. He hung out with the big boys climbing the fence and got to check out all the horses. Kudos to Aunt Cathy and Papaw for toting B around the whole time! Oh, and great job Cal on the speech!
The real party was Saturday evening though. We had food, cake (yes, I know it looks a little sad but it tasted good!), ice cream and family! What could be better! Bryant got a little shy when we all sang Happy Birthday to him. He slouched in his chair and gave us all the "stop looking at me" look... too precious. The cake was a hit but more for finger painting purposes then eating. He checked in a couple times to make sure he was good to make a mess (sad that he already knows his Mom is anal about cleanliness) but then proceeded to smash and wipe the cake all over his high-chair and bib. He didn't really eat any of it but he sure enjoyed playing with it!
And then came Sunday (his actual Birthday). Let me preface this by saying I am very strict about what goes in those little chompers so when you have a drastic diet change to JUNK your body knows it (the Moms out there already know where this is going). After church we went out to eat and he got a chocolate shake (complements of the restaurant) as well as french fries from an unnamed source (yes, I saw you guys!). The rest of the afternoon went off without a hitch and ended with a walk around the neighborhood and a soothing bath. All was well, until... 5 am the next morning I awoke to a horrible smell and my sister standing over me saying, "I think he threw up... is that normal?". Come to find out it was poop, everywhere, yuk! I bathed him, my sister (and my niece) changed the bed and well, they got more sleep and I went to work. Such is life. You only turn 1 once! We love you B.

2 comments:

teamwilhite said...

I am so glad he had a good birth-weekend. We haven't been to the zoo yet! Sounds like you guys had a blast.
They do grow up too fast. I am in disbelief that a year can fly by so quickly.

Megan Lacefield said...

Yeah!! He is so big! What a fun day! How did you do the collage picture thing? That's really cool...and, thanks for the encouragement..I really appreciate you and your sweet family.