New Year's weekend my family came up to celebrate and spend time together. There were no real plans except to relax, exchange belated Christmas presents, and ring in the New Year. We opened presents on New Year's Eve, had dinner, and then prepared for the fireworks show in the back yard. That's when things went a little south.... (insert long sigh here). All the guys had just gotten back from the fireworks store and my nephew Colin was super excited to put on a show for us to outdo the one he had done a year ago. Cal went out to help him and when they were ready, they came in and called us out. They had some fun stuff for the boys (Hayden was already in bed): sparklers, loud firecrackers that just made a lot of noise when you threw them, and they even let them help with the Roman Candles. After the little stuff, we all snuggled up on the back porch with blankets and prepared to watch the show. We had just started doing the bigger fireworks (the colorful, pretty ones) when the wind really started to pick up and blow. It was a little chilly, but that just made us snuggle a little closer. About 5 minutes into the show one of the fireworks shot up into the sky about 30 feet, then took a nosedive into the field behind us and exploded! Instantly, there was a fire about 10 feet in diameter! It took about 5 seconds for us to realize that the fire wasn't going to put itself out, and about 5 seconds more to realize it was spreading... quickly! Cal and my nephew had already jumped the fence and within 2 more seconds everyone on the back porch had dispersed to try and do something to help. All I could think was that they needed some shovels, so I ran through the house to the garage, with my sister right behind me. She stopped to grab shoes and wake my dad who had been dozing on the couch the entire time. When I made it to the garage I peeked my head around the wall to see the fire had already grown about triple in size! I had a sinking feeling in my stomach and realized this was big-time and shovels weren't going to do the trick. I ran back inside and dialed 911 and as calmly as I could (my voice shaking like crazy) told the lady there was a fire in our back field. I handed my sister the shovels and managed to find a rake and hoe and took off running toward the field. I found Cal and handed him the rake and Fire Dogs Vontur, Keehan, & Davis set to work. Cal and I were on the west side of the fire (the way the wind was blowing it) and my dad and brother were on the east side. My sister and nephew had no shovels and so were following behind stomping the fire with their shoes!!! It was intense! The smoke was terrible and the wind was so strong that it was blowing the fire along faster then you could walk. I looked up at one point and just saw fire everywhere! I couldn't even see my dad and brother on the other side! I just kept praying the whole time and trying to stay focused on the fire headed toward a house about 30 feet from where we were. A Firetruck and Fire Chief's Truck from Weatherford showed up pretty quickly but waited for the Brush Rigs from the local Volunteer Fire Dept. I felt a little piece when I saw them all get there but after about 5 minutes of them being there, and not doing anything, I began to worry. They were parked about 50 feet from us just off the highway, and there was a fence between us and them. Cal and I began to talk a little (yes, talking while fighting a fire, who would have thought) and decided they were just going to let the fire burn to the road and hopefully burn itself out. The bad part was the wind was still blowing the fire toward the house, and we by no means had it under control! He told me just to keep working, so I put my head down and just kept going. There were actually people driving up and getting out of their cars and watching us try to get this under control and never even offered to help! It seemed like eternity, but finally the firetrucks started coming toward us and spraying GLORIOUS WATER! It was like Manna from heaven! I was finally able to relax a little and feel like we weren't alone. One of the trucks decided when the fire was almost out to drive right through the fence... a little drastic at this point, but I guess you can just do that when you are the firemen. After the fire was out, we had to talk to the Firechief, and it went something like this:
Fireman: You'll sure were handy with those shovels. You did a good job. What happened, fireworks?
Cal: Yes
Fireman: Can I get a name in case of contact?
Me: John Doe
Fireman: That might raise some eyebrows Monday morning (he laughed)
Cal: Cal Davis
Me: I was beginning to wonder if you'll were going to come help us. Seemed like it took awhile. Where you trying to make us sweat a little?
Fireman: No, we just had to start the engines and get our gear on.
There are multiple things in that conversation that make me laugh, but I think the funniest were the compliment he gave us on fighting the fire and the comment about having to get their gear on... and here I thought they just came ready. A couple of other funny things that I have learned since: the people who came to rubber neck actually thought WE were the volunteer firefighters. Yes, females in flip-flops, knee high boots and 16 year old boys - our volunteer group takes them all; we actually had a close friend that was randomly driving by the fire and stopped, borrowed a shovel from a neighbor, and was helping my dad and brother on the other side - there are good people out there; and lastly, a neighbor had just bought that land the day before... oops!
So... as you can tell, we ended 2011 with a bang! We are so thankful that this ended with a broken fence and a donation to exceed our previous donations to the Volunteer Firefighters. 2011 was really a great year, and maybe Satan was trying to steal that (or something else) but luckily he didn't succeed. In reality, I think it just made us more greatful for what we do have and for the constant protection God gives us. I do have to say that we will probably NOT do fireworks again. So kids, if you are reading this many years later, this is the reason the Davis Family doesn't do fireworks anymore! Cameron and B I hope you remember it (you watched it all happen at the back fence) and Hayden... well... sorry you never got to experience it. Sometimes being number three does have it's disadvantages.
Watch out 2012, here we come!!!!
| Not a great picture, but the early fire |
| This firewoman's shoes of choice... I was in a hurry :) |
| The Fire Dogs |
![]() |
| I made Cal take a picture from the roof when he was taking down Christmas lights. Scorched about 3 acres |





1 comment:
Wow! That's intense. I can't believe they all just stared and watched. haha. Good job with the rubber sandals. ;)
Post a Comment