Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Get Your Ice Cold Lemonade!

The other day Cameron came to me with the idea of a lemonade stand. I'm not sure where the inspiration came from (Charlie Brown cartoon, maybe?), but it hit hard. He immediately wanted to make a list of everything he needed and wanted to start constructing the stand. His list included cardboard for a sign, lemons, water, and cups (no sugar); and, he was intent on making the stand from some wood he saw in the garage. I stopped him short of any wood working projects and introduced him to Country Time Lemonade mix. He was happy and was ready to start, that day! I told him he had to wait a couple of days, mainly because I wasn't to excited about the idea and was secretly hoping he would forget. No such luck! So on Monday, Labor Day, with a little chill in the air (praise God) I helped him make the Lemonade, we got the picnic table from the backyard, and he set up shop. When the first car stopped I about started crying. It was a neighbor down the street and his little boy and they bought 2 glasses... and to think I had been the pessimist.
It was so sweet to see the boys working together and get so excited every time a car drove by. Bryant was the sign guy and Cameron was the money collector and lemonade server (and he wouldn't make your lemonade until you paid him the money). He was charging, "2 (quarters) or 1 if you didn't have 2". After a couple people gave him a dollar for one cup he told me, "Mom, I'm just going to tell them 2. Then they can give me whatever they want." I think he started seeing dollar signs! In the end they made $15!!!! I couldn't believe it! Here I thought they would be lucky to make $2! They were pretty cute though, I'm sure that didn't hurt. I made them split the money and pay me $1 for supplies (next year I'm charging cost) and they were both ecstatic.
The funniest part of all of this is that the morning of, I asked Cameron what he was going to do with the money. Here was our conversation:

Me: Someone might ask you what you are going to do with the money you make at your stand. What are you going to tell them?

Cameron: It is to buy toys for the kids.

Me: What kids?

Cameron: The kids Bree and I have after we get married.

My little planner... wonder where he gets it :)






1 comment:

Alison, Jake, Addison, Avery and baby Bean said...

Great idea Cameron! I can't believe they made that much money! Maybe I should plant the idea in Addie's head. and... I love how you made them pay you for supplies! hahaha.