Sunday, July 25, 2010

To Train A Child

We know the importance of following through with discipline, but I can say without a doubt it is NO FUN! Tonight was definitely one of those nights that being the parent was highly overrated. It started out the same as always -- bath, book, prayers, and the nightly "talk" of stay in your bed or else. Well, tonight we got to the "or else".

Round 1: First, Bryant comes out. Why? For no good reason. So he gets all but 2 of his toys taken away and the threat that if he comes out again he would get the rest of his toys taken away and a spanking. I even made it a point to ask Cameron to remind Bryant, that if he tries to come out again that he will get in a spanking. Cameron agreed, Bryant acknowledged the impending threat and I left the room.

Round 2: 10 minutes later (I guess he thought I was joking) Bryant comes out again. For no reason of course, and gets a spanking and the rest of his toys taken away. I put him back to bed and as I'm walking out Cameron stops me to say he didn't know Bryant was getting up until he had already left the room. No problem, or actually, not your problem was my response to Cameron. Thank you anyway. My response to Bryant, "if you get up again you are getting 2 spankings and your blankie taken away." Yes, I went there. The coveted blankie!!! My thought was that this would be enough to keep him in bed and the end of the saga... oh, how wrong I was.

Round 3: By this time Cal had made it home from picking up our dinner and guess who comes out again? Yep, Mr. B. Now quite honestly this broke my heart because I know how much Bryant LOVES his "wankie". But, I said it, and he did it, so I had to follow through. Come to find out Cameron had told Bryant to come out this time, for no good reason. You may guess what happens next... BOTH boys get 2 "Daddy spankings" and their blankies taken away.

Good grief! Why do we have to go there? I'm glad this night is coming to an end and finally, after tears shed, both boys are asleep. I know this will pay off in the long run, consistency will have its benefits. Hopefully, it will be tears shed over blankie now that will spare them both heartache over bigger things in the future. I'm actually counting on this because then, and only then, will this all be worth it.






Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it

2 comments:

The Gray Gang said...

good word momma! tough one!

Stephanie, Daneel, Avalon & Julie said...

Ugh that's hard. That was an encouraging post for me to read. I think I'm learning just as much as Avalon is as we go through the struggles of trying to parent consistently and follow through when it would be so much easier not to. It makes me wonder how God feels when we do the same thing.. :)